Business Tax Receipt Information

Business Location & Governing Jurisdiction

What address do you plan on operating your business out of?

Click here to determine if the location of the business is in the City limits of Inverness, City of Crystal River or Citrus County. Once the property summary pops up on the screen, the jurisdiction line will let you know which jurisdiction you will be working with.

If you are unsure, please call (352) 726-3401 and we will assist you.

Zoning & Permitting Requirements 

You may require a pre-application meeting with the agency that has jurisdiction over the property

Do you need a permit?   Are you constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, moving, demolishing?  Then you will require a building permit.

Applications for building permits are required to be submitted for installations regulated by the Florida Building Code.  The Florida Building Code: construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.

Initial Business Set-up

You may want to speak to your banker, lawyer, insurance agent or accountant on how to set up your business.

To apply for a Tax ID/FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number), click here.  Every business should have its own unique tax ID number; you will need a FEIN to open a business checking account and pay your taxes.  

  • Register your business name with the State of Florida Sunbiz.Org. Click here.
  • Florida Fictious Name Registration, Click here.
  • Florida Annual Resale Certificate information, Click here.
  • To register for a Florida Annual Resale Certificate, Click here.

The City of Inverness requires a fire inspection for each new business, click here for the fire inspection application.

The City of Inverness Business Tax Receipt application, click here.

Do you have a State License or do you need a State License?

  • Are you opening a Restaurant?  Click here.
  • You may require a health department inspection, click here.
  • Some businesses require a Department of Agriculture license, click here.
  • Do you hold an existing state license? If so click here.

Are you ready to open the new business?

Are you opening your new business in the City of Inverness downtown?

  • Are you adding signage or want to paint the exterior of the space you are renting? If you answered yes, then you will need to apply for The Certificate of Appropriateness, click here for this application.  Please note that the property owner must approve any and all changes and must sign the actual application.
  • You may need a building permit for your signage, if so click here.  Please note that the property owner must approve any and all changes and must sign the actual application along with the licensed contractor.  Not sure if your contractor is licensed?  Click here to verify.
  • Do you want to put up a temporary banner (only good for 49 days in a calendar year)? Click here.
  • Do you plan on putting tables and chairs on the city's sidewalk? Then the Sidewalk Cafe Application is required, click here.

Remember, our staff is always here to assist you.
Call us at (352) 726-3401 or at