Building or Renovating
Whether you are a building a new structure or making changes to an existing one requires a building permit. Upgrading electrical work, installing a new air conditioning even adding a fence a building permit are required. Below is a road map of questions to help you through the process:
- Building a new single family residence? Click here for the residential checklist.
- Making changes to an existing structure, residential or commercial? Regardless if you are a homeowner or business, depending on the changes you are making, a permit will be required. Please contact Community Development at 352-726-3401 to have us help you through the process.
- Changing out an Air Conditioner? Fill out the Building permit application, the HVAC change out form and supply the AHRI certificate. For your ease , email us the permits at DDS@inverness-fl.gov.
- Changing out windows and doors? Fill out the Building Permit, Product Approval Form provide the installation sheets and diagram of the building marking the windows being changed out. Click here for the Windows & Doors Checklist.
- Are you adding a new roof, or going over the existing? Fill out the building permit application, the product approval form and email us at DDS@inverness-fl.gov.
- Do you need to register your business to pull a permit? Contractor Registration Application
- If you do not find the form you are looking for: https://www.inverness-fl.gov/DocumentCenter/Index/5
Any construction over $2,500.00 requires a Notice of Commencement (NOC) and is required to be recorded at the Citrus County Clerk Annex located at 120 N. Montgomery Avenue, 352-341-6400.
For changes to an existing structure, there are required forms that need to be filled out and may vary depending on the renovation. It is strongly suggested, when doing renovation type work, that you contact the Community Development staff at 352-726-3401 or email us at DDS@inverness-fl.gov, so that they may help guide you through the necessary paperwork to help your business get off to a good start.
Building new structures, as well as renovation work which changes a buildings use, can be subject to an Impact Fee charge. You can call the Community Development Department at 352-726-3401 and we will be able to assist you.
For existing permits, click here: Inspection Requests.
Please note that we only perform inspections on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.